Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Caveat to the golf experience

I was just writing an e-mail to my illustrious Aunt Jackie and realized I should probably share a perspective on here that I've come to appreciate.

I had been told before 'deploying' here to Riyadh that I could bring anything from golf clubs to triathlon gear out here.  I didn't do so because it just didn't feel right knowing I was coming here, to the Middle East, to do a job for the U.S. Army in support of stabilizing what we all know is a very volatile region.  If I was going to sacrifice an entire year away from family and friends, I wasn't going to pursue activities that might seem to turn this opportunity into some sort of strange vacation.

But, as usual, my mistake was that my perspective was too inwardly focused and naive given my less-than-adequate understanding of the true mission here.

Now, I have a new and proper perspective.  Engaging in activities such as golf (see pics below) isn't just a chance to unwind here.  It is also an opportunity to show trust and good faith in the host country's intent to modernize and accept religious tolerance.  It's an opportunity to step outside the safety of our compound, shed an ample degree of force protection and rely on the stability of our locale that has been built with and through the Saudi government.

But more importantly, I can now use the excuse that I'm playing with rented clubs rather than my par-producing set at home. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say...."I told you to take your clubs!!" now??? hahaha! Love you! Can't wait to see your next set of pics!!

    ReplyDelete