Thursday, April 14, 2011

2-D Dad

  I Skyped with the family last night as we usually do every couple days.  Isabel was grumpy, Jackson was distracted and Paola was losing patience with the both of them.  I tried to infuse some paternal wisdom in conjunction with their mother's guidance, but once again I was reminded of one simple fact: being a 2-dimensional dad sucks. You're not nearly as imposing or viable when you fit on a 15 inch screen.  Sure, I can still send them to their room from thousands of miles away or have an earnest discussion with them about their behavior.  What I can't do is sit next to them, throw my arm around their shoulders and physically convey love and forgiveness.  I can't high five an accomplishment, hug away a disappointment or tickle-monster one of those perfect moments where a bout of silliness collides with a case of the giggles.
  Fortunately for me, my children have an absolutely amazing mother.  She has taken up the slack in everything that I can't be for the kids.  Needless to say, I have plenty to make up for once I return.  And I have more than plenty to be thankful for in the meantime.

2 comments:

  1. Just remember, in a few months the 2-D Dad will disappear and 3-D Dad, cape, tights and all will be back on the scene. All will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you honey. Definitely wouldn't be able to do this if it wasn't for all of your support and love.

    ReplyDelete